Dr. Cavallo's Eating Rules
Over 10 years ago when I started having kids, I was forced to come to grips with some hard realities about my genetics. As a pregnant mamma, my body's predisposition to diabetes and high blood pressure reared it's ugly head. At the time I wasn't too happy about it, and was overwhelmed with the thought of having to change my habits and lifestyle. With the help and advice of some phenomenal doctors (and a little practice) I was able to not only sustain healthy babies and a healthy me; I learned some very valuable lessons that I continue to put into practice and will for the rest of my life.
Exercise is of course key. 30 minute or more per day of any good cardio activity (executed at your target heart rate: click here to calculate yours!)
My doctor when I was pregnant with Owen gave me this list of "rules" for healthy eating. This information is priceless (which is why I want to share it with you). I guarantee that if you exercise and follow these eating rules, you will become a much healthier you! Here goes:
Dr. Cavallo’s Eating Rules
1. No more than 1 serving of 1 poison per week. A poison is defined as any food that contains more than 50 grams of carbohydrate or 20 grams of sugar per serving.
2. Each meal MUST contain the following:
a. complex carbohydrate – size of your fist (serving should have no more than 50 grams carb and no more than 12 grams sugar)
b. protein – size of your palm (10-20 grams)
c. good source of oil: olive oil, grape seed oil, canola oil, smart balance, etc…
d. fiber (see rule #9)
3. When choosing bread, pasta, crackers, or cereal, look for the following:
a. At least 4 grams of protein per serving
b. At least 5 grams of fiber per serving
c. No more than 50 grams of carbohydrate (15% of daily carbohydrate total)per serving
d. No more than 12 grams of sugar per serving
Examples:
BrownBerry whole wheat bagels
Aunt Millie’s bread
Barilla multi grain pasta (yellow package)
Whole wheat pasta (various brands)
Kashi GoLean cereal
Grape Nuts Trail mix cereal
Shredded Wheat cereal
*For lower carb snacks such as Triscuits (21 grams per serving), it is acceptable if there is as little as 3 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber per serving.
4. Aim for 10-20 grams of protein per serving and at least 60 grams of protein per day (when selecting meats, lean sources such as turkey, chicken, and fish should be more the norm than beef and pork).
5. No more than 300 grams of carbohydrate and no more than 40 grams sugar per day. Do not worry about counting carbs and sugar in fruits and vegetables.
6. The largest meal of the day should be breakfast and the lightest meal should be dinner.
7. Never wait until you are hungry to eat.
8. A good meal should last 4-6 hours without you feeling hungry, gfatigued, or irritable.
9. Never eat a carbohydrate by itself. Carbs should be linked with a good oil and/or protein.
• Examples:
• Fruit or vegetable with cheese
• Fruit or vegetable with meat
• Bread with olive oil
• Bread with meat and/or cheese
• Triscuits with cheese
• Nuts (good stand alone snack)
10. Take 3-6 grams of inulin (FiberSure – 1 heaping teaspoon or FiberChoice – 2 tablets) or psyllium (Metamucil powder – 1 heaping tablespoon) with each meal or snack. If taking psyllium capsules, take 6-8 thirty minutes prior to eating.
11. Aim for 30 grams of total fiber per day.
12. Limit root vegetables (potatoes, carrots, beets, etc.) and sweet fruits (melon, pineapple, kiwi, mango, and bananas) to 2 servings per day. Otherwise eat AS MANY FRUITS AND VEGETABLES AS POSSIBLE (at least 5 servings per day).
13. Drink lots of water (urine should be almost clear in color).
Oh, thank you!! I just printed this all off and am going to sit and read it and then hang it in my kitchen! You cannot imagine how much this simplified things for me! I love you bunches!
ReplyDeleteLove,
:) Jodi