Musical Skeletons From The Closet

I don’t know if it’s because my 20th High School Class reunion is happening this year or what. But, I’ve been reflecting a lot on the past. Reconnecting with old friends on facebook may have a lot to do with it. Having people from every stage of your life all in one place… it’s a strange phenomenon – bringing the “Skeletons From The Closet” – so to speak.

As all these memories flood back, the thing that has occurred to me, is how much music plays part in these memories. Music is huge in my life. Hearing a song can take me back to the time and place I first heard it. There’s so much history in the music.

I really love music. I always have. Ever since I was a little kid, I would sit on the floor in our living room, parked at my parents console record-player and listen to their vinyl records. Stuff ranging from Captain & Tennille, Carol King, Helen Reddy, and Jim Croce to The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Leslie Gore, and The Lettermen. They had pretty mild taste, but I LOVED my parents records. Here’s a funny - I remember being in love with Barry Manilow. One night after seeing him on a television special, I seriously thought Barry Manilow was like my hero or something. (Superman too, but that’s a different story.) No joke. But to be fair, I was only like 6 or 7.

I started taking Piano lessons in grade school. Playing the pop stuff was fun… (I remember playing the theme song to “Greatest American Hero” over and over and over again.) But, classical pieces by Bach were my absolute favorite. I still love Classical music to this day. It soothes my soul.

My parents got me a “boom box” around 1984. Some of my first “tapes” were Prince's “Purple Rain” and Michael Jackson's “Thriller” (of course… 1984). I would tune in to Chicago’s B96, and tape the R&B onto my own mix tapes. I loved everything from smooth Sade… to crazy stuff like The Beastie Boys and Kool Moe Dee. (I’m surprised my parents didn’t investigate. Some of those lyrics were pretty bad).

During this era my Mom was listening to Christian radio. I remember listening to WFRN way back then. The Gaithers, Evie, Sandi Pattie… I didn’t DISLIKE it. In fact I liked it quite a bit. I remember having Michael W. Smith and Amy Grant tapes that I reallly loved listening to… but I was still really into a lot of other stuff too.

In High School I listened to anything and everything. Punk, Hard Rock/Heavy Metal, Pop, Classic Rock, 60’s & 70’s Oldies, R&B… everything. I remember listening to a lot of Guns N Roses. Driving around in our friend Billie’s Camaro (or was it a Trans Am?) – I know it had T-Tops… but we would cruise and crank Guns N Roses and Bon Jovi. Yep, big haired girls cruising to Guns N Roses. What can I say.

(When I think of MY High School days, it makes me sweat thinking of that fact that I’m going to have 5 teenagers at the same time. Scary.)

My college roommate Betsy and I used to DJ a radio show from campus. I was thinking today about the stuff we aired... Violent Femmes, Midnight Oil, New Order, The Clash, and a bunch of other random stuff. We could be pretty random. We had fun. No one would be able to figure me out by my CD collection in college. Punk, Seattle grunge/alternative bands ... and Country (Purdue - go figure). One minute Nirvana/Pearl Jam/Stone Temple Pilots/etc.. the next minute we were doing the Boot Scoot Boogie and 2-stepping to Alabama. All the while I still had my old favs like James Taylor, Carol King and Captain & Tennille. And Betsy, have you forgiven me for playing the Johnny Mathis Christmas Album on repeat for nights on end? Sorry, I’m mental.

I’m not sure what was going on during the White Zombie phase either, but there was that too.

A lot of these CDs are now gone. As I got older, had kids, grew closer to Jesus… a lot of this stuff just didn’t appeal anymore (especially the White Zombie) and we got rid of a lot of them.

Really, in a lot of ways, I'm a totally different person than I used to be. My focus has changed. My values have changed. But in some ways, I'm the same old Stephanie. I still LOVE music. These days I’m all about singing praises to God.. and kid tunes ... mixed with random fun stuff from my past that resurfaces every once in a while. Those Skeleton’s don’t always stay in the closet ... I guess I shouldn't be afraid of them. It’s all part of who I am and where I’ve been, and lessons I've learned. I'm thankful for music. And as Helen Reddy said, I'm gonna "Keep on singing, don't stop singing".


Speaking of random ... soon on video ... my kids dancing to Bee Gee’s “Stayin’ Alive” … more good stuff.


Psalm 5:11 NIV
But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you.

Comments

Popular Posts