I a Big Boy
Owen is turning 3 a week from today. My baby. I slip sometimes and still say baby. He’s not a baby anymore. He tells me that too. “Mommy, I not a baby – I big boy.”
He’s right. He is a big boy. And I think that’s what he wants more than anything else… to be big.

To Owen, one way of being a big boy is being a Cub Scout. He’s at least 3 years away from having that opportunity himself, but that doesn’t stop him from trying.

We have this little button-front jacket-type shirt with patches on it. I think it came from Target about the time Logan was 3 or 4. It’s navy blue, and has these cute little patches sewn on that look like the patches on a Cub Scout shirt. I thought it was so cute, I just kept it. In December, we were all getting ready for the Cub Scout Christmas Party. Logan, Sam, Jacob and Daddy were getting dressed in their uniform shirts and Owen said to me, “where’s my Cub Scout shirt?” Wow, I thought. He’s the only “guy” in this family not wearing a uniform shirt to this party. He really wants to be one of the “guys”. I thought for a few minutes and remembered the box in the attic with that shirt I saved. When I pulled that out and put it on him he just beamed. At that moment, in his mind, he became a Cub Scout.

He nestled himself tightly into the group of Cub Scouts during the Ronald McDonald program that night, laughing, and playing along with every thing the older kids did.
I noticed at one point he was carefully studying the Cub Scout boy sitting next to him.

That night I watched Owen mimic everything the older boys were doing. He even kept going up front with the other Cub Scouts and his Daddy when the Scouts were receiving their advancement recognition. He gets so frustrated with us when we try to hold him back and explain "it's not your time yet". He always comes back with "I a Big Boy!"
I really do think in Owen’s mind, he’s going on 8 or 10… like Sam, Jacob, Caroline and Logan. He’s one of them. He wrestles on the floor with them, plays rough with them, laughs and giggles with them, plays Uno with them, bickers with them, watches movies with them, plays Legos with them, has snowball fights with them, has living room slumber parties with them… he’s definitely one of them.
The funny part of all of this… three years ago I was afraid a child 5 - 7 years younger than the other four kids in the family wouldn’t be well accepted. I feared that he and the older four kids would have trouble bonding. Logan was so close to the triplets, it was like they were quads. It seemed unlikely that Owen would become “one of them”. I was wrong. God knew exactly what he was doing adding this child to our lil family. Owen is loved, adored, and cherished. I couldn’t imagine life without him. He’s a perfect fit in Our lil Family Puzzle…

Thank you Lord Jesus for Owen and the joy he brings to our family. Lord, cultivate Owen’s desire to be BIG into a desire to do BIG things for You throughout his life.
Amen
He’s right. He is a big boy. And I think that’s what he wants more than anything else… to be big.
To Owen, one way of being a big boy is being a Cub Scout. He’s at least 3 years away from having that opportunity himself, but that doesn’t stop him from trying.
We have this little button-front jacket-type shirt with patches on it. I think it came from Target about the time Logan was 3 or 4. It’s navy blue, and has these cute little patches sewn on that look like the patches on a Cub Scout shirt. I thought it was so cute, I just kept it. In December, we were all getting ready for the Cub Scout Christmas Party. Logan, Sam, Jacob and Daddy were getting dressed in their uniform shirts and Owen said to me, “where’s my Cub Scout shirt?” Wow, I thought. He’s the only “guy” in this family not wearing a uniform shirt to this party. He really wants to be one of the “guys”. I thought for a few minutes and remembered the box in the attic with that shirt I saved. When I pulled that out and put it on him he just beamed. At that moment, in his mind, he became a Cub Scout.
He nestled himself tightly into the group of Cub Scouts during the Ronald McDonald program that night, laughing, and playing along with every thing the older kids did.
I noticed at one point he was carefully studying the Cub Scout boy sitting next to him.
That night I watched Owen mimic everything the older boys were doing. He even kept going up front with the other Cub Scouts and his Daddy when the Scouts were receiving their advancement recognition. He gets so frustrated with us when we try to hold him back and explain "it's not your time yet". He always comes back with "I a Big Boy!"
I really do think in Owen’s mind, he’s going on 8 or 10… like Sam, Jacob, Caroline and Logan. He’s one of them. He wrestles on the floor with them, plays rough with them, laughs and giggles with them, plays Uno with them, bickers with them, watches movies with them, plays Legos with them, has snowball fights with them, has living room slumber parties with them… he’s definitely one of them.
The funny part of all of this… three years ago I was afraid a child 5 - 7 years younger than the other four kids in the family wouldn’t be well accepted. I feared that he and the older four kids would have trouble bonding. Logan was so close to the triplets, it was like they were quads. It seemed unlikely that Owen would become “one of them”. I was wrong. God knew exactly what he was doing adding this child to our lil family. Owen is loved, adored, and cherished. I couldn’t imagine life without him. He’s a perfect fit in Our lil Family Puzzle…
Thank you Lord Jesus for Owen and the joy he brings to our family. Lord, cultivate Owen’s desire to be BIG into a desire to do BIG things for You throughout his life.
Amen
Beautifully written, Dear Mommy. You have a definite way with words.
ReplyDeleteAnd your kids are soooooo photogenic!
I love you dearly.
Janet says, "That was realy sweet."
ReplyDelete