On Purpose



I don’t know what other households are like, but sibling rivalry gets out of control around here sometimes (uh, make that a lot). Most likely, I would guess, it’s due in part to birth order (or lack thereof in the triplet’s case).

At any rate, this competition usually rears it’s ugly head when one child is “better” at something than another child in the family. Which in turn brings about the subject of gifts. I usually remind them that we are all different, with different God given talents, abilities and gifts. We are NOT the same – on purpose. God wants us to be the unique individuals he designed – fulfilling our special part in His plan.

Well, this morning the issue came up again during breakfast. Jacob had been sitting at my computer reading my blog, and read the entry “I a Big Boy”. He came into the kitchen and started comparing himself to his baby brother. Then, he started getting discouraged about himself.

Oh my sweet little Jacob. Yes, Owen talked much, much earlier than you did. But Jacob, remember, you started reading books much, much earlier than anyone else I know. Jacob you are an amazing person with God-given gifts of your own. God has big plans for you. Don’t be discouraged by looking at other people. You’re different ON PURPOSE.

But as I type that… the thought occurs to me. You know what? I do the same thing – all the time! I look at other people and compare myself to them. And I too get discouraged! I struggle terribly with that. I look at the differences and all I see is what I am not, and have not. I forget what I am and what I have. I forget that God created me the way I am, ON PURPOSE.

Ok, Jacob, so we’re all going to work on this together. Mommy included.

Lord Jesus, provide through me the words and actions to show these children how special they are. Help us to live out the truth that no one person, or gift, or talent, or strength, or skill is more important than another – each is necessary for the whole to work together. Help us to not be discouraged over what we are not, rather celebrate what we are, and that You – the God of the Universe have made us uniquely and specifically according to your perfect plan.
Amen

1 Corinthians 12:12-26
The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ. For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.
Now the body is not made up of one part but of many. If the foot should say, "Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. And if the ear should say, "Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. If they were all one part, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, but one body.
The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!" On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

Comments

  1. Oh, wow, Steph.
    This one hits home all too closely. :)
    I know just what you are saying. I struggle so much with this. So much.

    And so do my kids.
    You know that really neat addition that you can put on you blog...the one that labels your blogs? William used to keep track of how many "hits" his name had beside it compared to the others. :)

    I see myself doing this with God.
    God, did she get more points just now because she stepped up to teach Sunday School? etc...etc..etc..

    I love you and your transparency.
    I love your blog.
    And yes, I do envy your writing abilities. :)
    Did I mention how much I love you?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts