Nothing But Blue Skies

You can feel the excitement building.  Here in Northern Indiana, Spring is on it's way.  The natives are restless!

Saturday the sun warmed us up to 45 degrees.  Like animals coming out of hibernation, people were crawling out of the woodwork.  There were busy bees everywhere - walking, running, sweeping out cars, taking down Christmas decorations that have been neglected for 2 months (notice the new flag on my porch friends), cleaning flower beds, playing in the yard.  Despite the slimline edges of snow hiding in the shadows, and the muddy ground in melted places, it was a glorious preview of what we've all missed for so long.

The sunshine and warmer air beckoned me too.

I did something I haven't done in a long time.  I laced up my running shoes and went for a run.  OUTSIDE!

I have to say.  There's something so serene about running on the road.



I love the solitude.  I'm not one to use an IPod when I run outside.  If I listen to music, I'll miss out on what I love most about running.  (Plus, I'm afraid I won't hear well and get hit by a car or bit by a dog.)

One reason I love running outside, is I'm obsessed with the sky.




Saturday was one of those rare days with not a cloud in the sky.  Nothing but blue skies.  I immediately launch into a jazzy Eva Cassidy-ish rendition of the song in my head.  "Blue skies smiling at me. Nothing but blue skies do I see. Blue birds singing a song. Nothing but blue skies from now on." (Not that I could ever sound like Eva Cassidy.  In my head I can pretend.)


Clouds - no clouds - day - night - I love soaking in the sights and sounds (and smells) of the earth and sky.  Some of my favorite runs in the past have been in the dark - under the moon and a gazillion shining stars.  I get overwhelmed with appreciation for the One who created this amazing universe.  I get lost in awe and wonder when I focus on the glorious creation around me.  It's not unusual for me to get into lengthy conversations with God in my head on outings like this.

Then... there's this:



I know, the grass doesn't actually look like this yet.  It's still all brown and yucky.  Still, Saturday you could SMELL the grass.  You know what I mean, don't you.  Mmmmm... grass, rain, dirt.... I love those smells.  When I was out Saturday, I was near drunk on the smell of grass and dirt.  It's funny how you take things for granted, until it's removed from your life for awhile.

One other thing I enjoy about running, which doesn't have so much to do with God, or nature, but is certainly entertaining....



I get a kick out of observing people.  And their houses.  And their landscaping.  And their yards.

Not so much their scary barking dogs... but with that I usually just try to avoid eye contact, utter an urgent "please Lord" and remain calm.  So far, so good.

Don't get me wrong... as much as I love it once I'm out there... there is still that daily internal struggle that goes on over the discomfort of running.  Mostly the discomfort of getting back into shape once I've gone astray for too long.  But with every step, every pounding heart beat, and every sore muscle - I'm happy because I know I'm getting stronger and healthier.

I think I'm going to get the jogging stroller out today... Owen and Mommy need some blue skies, sunshine and grass-smells.

Comments

Popular Posts